Monday, February 21, 2011

A Book Review: The Scorch Trials

Title: The Scorch Trials
Author: James Dashner
Genre: SF (YA Post-Apocalyptic)
Length: 360

Quality Rating: 9
Content Rating: PG-13

Read First: The Maze Runner

After an amazing, unique first book, I sometimes worry when I pick up the second book. I don't want the second book to simply be the first book again, and I don't want to be disappointed. I want the second book to be as unique and amazing as the first book. This is the fear that I had inside of me when I picked up The Scorch Trials.

Thankfully, James Dashner did not disappoint me. The Scorch Trials was not simply a rehash of The Maze Runner. Though this book was another pre-planned challenge for the Gladers, a challenge they must survive and win in order to save their world (somehow), it is not the Maze. It is uniquely different. We are introduced to new characters, new plot, and this leads to all new character development. The dynamic among the Gladers changes and Thomas, our own dear main character, is given a challenge unlike anything else he can remember (which granted isn't very long).

Fantastic from beginning to end, I cannot wait until the third book and cannot wait to see if and how the Gladers will save their world.

This book is PG-13 like its predecessor for violence, death, betrayal, disease, and violence.

2 comments:

  1. Nice succinct review. Although I kind of like my books with an R-rating and not PG-13 mostly because I'm older and just like life in my books to hit harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michael! I try to keep my reviews succinct. In the end all I really want to know is if the book was good and what it would be rated.

    ReplyDelete