Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Book Review: The Name of the WInd

Title: The Name of the Wind
Author: Patrick Rothfus
Genre: Fantasy
Length: 722

Quality Rating: 9
Content Rating: PG-13

This book came up in conversation with one of my friends, and so I immediately looked into it. All I can really say is that my mind was basically blown. I bought the book on a Friday afternoon and finished it on Sunday afternoon (taking a long Sunday morning break for church, lunch, and handbells rehearsal). This book kept me gripped from beginning to end. For a debut novel, you really can't ask for much more. I look forward to reading the rest of the story - that's a lie - I'm DYING to read the rest of the story. I know great things are on the horizon for Patrick Rothfuss, and I highly encourage you to pick up this book and discover Kvothe for yourself. But to give you a sketchy idea of what it's about - its a man telling his story - a great story of love, adventure, tragedy, music, and knowledge. This first book only covers the first 16 years of the man's life, and it leaves you dying to know the rest.

This book gets a PG-13 rating for some hard truths behind life on the streets as well as violence - both plain violence and fantasy level violence. Language is fairly mild since most curse words in fantasy novels are made up, and there is very little sexual content in this book (though it does have a fair amount of innuendo - and I claim to have only gotten a small portion of it -lol).

All in all, I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment