Monday, January 14, 2013

An Ending: The Wheel of Time

This post contains spoilers for A Memory of Light.

Read it at your own peril.

I am writing this on Saturday, January 12, 2013, though it won't post until Monday. I got up this morning at 8 am, promptly opened A Memory of Light for the first time, and continued reading it until 9:45 pm. I think it's safe to assume that between meals, bathroom breaks, and dealing with my dogs, I actually read it in under thirteen hours. I think that's a new record for me. 908 pages of small font in thirteen hours. But man, I couldn't have stopped if I wanted to.

It's finally over.

I didn't actually cry at any point, mainly because when I'm reading I'm so engrossed in a story that I rarely feel anything. It's not like watching a movie. It's more immediate than that. I'm just so in it that there really isn't a me sitting separate from it to cry. Which is weird and hard to explain. But my eyes did burn at several point, and when I got to the end, when I read those last words, I almost did cry.

I closed the book and sat there for a moment, leaning over it. I just...the ending...I...

No words.

It's hard to sum up how I feel as a whole, other than every time I read those last words of the book, I want to cry, though I can't explain why.

Maybe it's because for so long we've talked about how there are no beginnings, but it was a beginning. And finally, it was an ending.

I really can't express all the different things I'm feeling in one post because there are so many! So what I'm going to do instead is write a post about how I feel about each of the major character story lines and then probably a post about a whole much of miscellaneous characters.

I'll post one a day for the next two weeks, because I don't want to spend the next month drawing this out for people who don't care about the Wheel of Time. I think I can get it all done in that time. Right now I'm thinking the following schedule.


Tuesday (1/15): Rand
Wednesday (1/16): Mat
Thursday (1/17): Perrin
Friday (1/18): Egwene
Monday (1/21): Demandred
Tuesday (1/22): Tuon
Wednesday (1/23): Aviendha, Elayne, & Min
Thursday (1/24): Androl & Pevara
Friday (1/25): Miscellaneous
  
But now I also intend to re-read the whole series. Why? Various reasons, but mainly because I like to read a whole series with knowledge of the ending as I start from the beginning. 

And maybe just maybe I'll do it because I want to believe:
"There are no endings, and never will be endings, to the turning of the Wheel of Time."

2 comments:

  1. Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
    TLR Carbon wheels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig Willows-Keetley shares the story of his journey to compete in the half Ironman length Challenge event in Phuket. Craig shares his training program, details of the race and lessons he learnt from the event. Hear his story about the Challenge event that’s a Challenge and a half!.
    Carbon bike wheels

    ReplyDelete