Monday, September 17, 2012

Revisions!

Last November, I finished the first draft of one of my novels, which is currently called The Descent of Chris Chappell. Last January I rewrote the first chapter because the original one sucked. Shortly after I created a plan for how the first part needed to be re-written. And then I stopped.

With one chapter re-written and an outline for how I wanted the new draft to go, I just stopped. Life got crazy because I started doing all sorts of traveling for work and for some reason I just didn't get back to it.

Until last week.

Revisions on The Descent of Chris Chappell are now fully underway.

I've gone through the most of it in broad strokes. I've cut sections out and rearranged other sections. However, none of it is smooth or pretty right now. It's all hacked up and ugly looking. And that level of ugly is very disconcerting. 

I'm in the middle of doing my hack up of the third part, and I feel a little disheartened because it's so ugly right now. I look at it and I'm just like, "ugh. This story is never going to be pretty. It's never going to become anything. It sucks."

I can see what I want my story to become, but making it get there is just so hard. And I'm afraid it's never going to happen. I'm afraid that my aspirations of becoming a published author are just delusions and that my story is pretty much worthless.

So that's where I am right now. Staring at Chapter 28 in despair, trying to figure out how to make it more engaging and fast paced, since it's only two chapters away from the climax.

And that's why this post is just blah. Because I'm in the middle of revisions blues.

But don't worry. The blues will go away eventually, and I'll become really excited about my story again. I've already fallen back in love with dear old Chris Chappell, and my heart breaks for him. It's just a matter of making sure that the reader's heart breaks for him as well.

In other news, I've gotten my book review blog started back up again! So be sure to check in there tomorrow for a review of a truly fantastic book: Spin.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the book! That's great that you're picking it up again; don't feel bogged down. You'll get it worked out.

    I'm sure you have editors galore, and I'm no professional, but I've done a lot of writing myself, as well as editing and revision work with authors. I'd be more than happy to try to help, if you're interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, C! I'm trying not to let it get to me. I just got to push through until a wave of excitement comes over me again. :)

    And thanks for the offer to read! I don't (by any means) have any professional editors or anything, just friends and other writers who I get to read it. But sometimes I need a fresh pair of eyes. I'll let you know when I'm ready for that. Right now, I'm a little ways off. :)

    ReplyDelete